Sunday, August 7, 2011

Eat your veggies

Photographed by LD Out of Focus

I did my ten year stint as a vegetarian starting when I was in 4th grade. Then bad dining hall options and a guy swayed me into eating poultry. A few years later I found myself corrupted and eating pork since, well, who can resist bacon? I never started eating red meat again, not even Argentine beef could sway me.

For about a month I have been a vegetarian once again. This past year I have toyed with the idea of returning to this diet, since pork is not especially healthy, and chicken does not excite me, but really had no concrete reason to do so.

I know I'll be eating meat once I get to South America, but for now I shall abstain.

2 comments:

  1. Over the last 5 years, I've been a vegetarian; and have loved it. There's so much variety now compared with what was around years ago.

    However, the reason why I became one after being a carnivore for so long is because when I was young, meat (any type of meat) used to be juicy and succulent and it actually had taste. Now, though, it has the consistency of cardboard and doesn't look good or smell nice. So, I steered away from it. I also found that when I ate meat I felt bloated and sick; so I talked to my doctors about becoming a vegetarian and they helped me with my diet. In the last year or so, I was taken to a nutritionist by my Mum (as she was worried I don't eat well enough; saying I don't eat enough meat... silly really) and the nutritionist said I was one of the healthiest vegetarians she's come across. I cook everything from scratch and have takeaway (pizza or fish'n'chips) one a month. And I steer clear of MacDonalds or anything that greasy completely.

    However, if you feel as though vegetarianism may be the way to go for you; you gotta remember your body is the temple and you must look after it the best ways you know how.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I see you in September, I will take you to a cool place I went with my daughter yesterday. Wow for a Vegetarian you will be in your glory. I had the best Sweet Potato rolls with Wasabe and soi sauce. Spring rolls and Gen. Teo non-chicken and broccoli. Wow my mouth is watering just thinking about it. Don't worry though I still like food that had parents. LOL.

    ReplyDelete